Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Time out... time.

Ray and I both feel that Maddy is at an appropriate age for "time outs." She receives one minute of alone time, facing the corner, in her purple chair. This allotment of time to self-reflect (lol) is usually the outcome from Madelyn throwing food, hitting, or slamming things into the wall and causing marks. (She is really a pleasant little girl- but she has mommy's *ahem* grace and patience.)
How things usually unfold:
Scene set: Living room of scenic New Hampshire, time 7:00 pm.
Maddy- *throws rocking chair into a back and forth rock, causing it to slam into any wall in a 6' radius*
Daddy- Maddy, sweetie love, sugar-pie please don't do that. That makes daddy sad.
Maddy- *archs back and laughs sadistically as she continues to ram chair into the wall.*
Daddy- MADELYN Eileen.......... the FIRST! Stop!
Mommy- ENOUGH!
Maddy- *giggles little adorable baby giggles, making Mommy laugh.*
Daddy- Time out then!
He then will put her into the corner and count to 60. She is usually p'od by this and then does listen to him. Great, discipline accomplished... easy stuff.

Well, let us fast forward to yesterday...

Maddy shows off what she thinks is the world's funniest trick.... Again, slamming the wooden rocking chair into the beautiful white walls. I tell Maddy that if she continues then it is time for.... you guessed it... time out. Well, the banging continued. I picked up my little 25-pound bulldozer and put her in the corner, counted to 60, explained what she did wrong, and asked if she would be a good girl. I then told her time-out was finished and that she could get up.

BUT...SHE STAYED IN TIME OUT. SHE PLAYED. SHE WAS COMFORTABLE. She sang little baby songs and mocked me for 20-minutes. Mission of discipline. FAIL.

I moved the rocking chair into the middle of the room.

No comments: