Monday, February 27, 2012

Be Still

Bedtime has always been a challenge for us. Maddy usually only concedes to it if all the lights stay on and she is allowed to play. I concede to this being called bedtime as long as she stays in bed. Somewhere between her car adventures and dolly diaper changes she konks out, Ray will slip in and pull the toys off the bed and shut out the lights. But, there are nights were she wakes up and probably wonders, "where the heck is all my stuff?!" You will then hear tiny little "mommas and daddas" being called out. I usually go in and check on her and she ALWAYS says "lie down momma." Because I can not hold any ground when I am tired, I give in and lie down. At first my mind is onto the next thing I need to get done today. tomorrow. next week. last week... and then something happens. I am not sure if it is the soft hum of the lullabies playing from her CD player or the tiny glow from her Dora nightlight, but I settle. I am still. She usually tugs your arm at that point, making sure it is wrapped around her. I then remind myself that everything else can wait... that 16 year old Maddy will not need me to lay down with her in order to fall asleep. That 16 year old Maddy will not instantly calm just as long as I am close and I realize -even if just in that moment- to be still. My little girl needs me to cuddle with her... and I probably need it more than she does.
I will one day videotape the tiny baby snores and humiliate 16 year old Maddy though!

No comments: